Rural Shelby County, Iowa
Shelby County, Iowa.
Share this Resource
Resource CategoriesThere's No Place Like Home
Mr. and Mrs. Nels P. Ericksen, both Danish immigrants, bought their first farm in Shelby County, Iowa, around 1897. This was the dwelling house, which was replaced in 1922. The farm is now part of Prairie Rose Lake.
The Eriksens purchased their third farm in 1913 in Jackson Township in Shelby County. In 1915 they moved the original house in the yard closer to the road, added a new addition, and made several other improvements. In 1993 the structure was vacant and removed. The Ericksen’s great-great-grandsons now own the farmland.