Lidstrup - Audubon, Iowa
Share this Resource
Resource CategoriesThere's No Place Like Home
This house in the hamlet of Lidstrup, in Tingsted parish on the island of Falster (Maribo County), was the birthplace of Edvard K. Andersen. The house was called “The Comb-Maker’s House,” due to the occupation of Edvard’s father, Niels Andersen. Note the comb at the top of the flagpole. Niels Andersen was also the ancestor of artist Clint Hansen, whose work is in the Museum collection. The house can also be seen in the background of the 1930s-era photo showing Niels and his wife Marie and their horse, Marius. The dog’s name is Bruno.
After immigrating, Ed Andersen married Dorothy Lacy. They purchased their first farm in 1941. Shown here, it was located in Audubon Township, Audubon County. In 1947 they purchased what became known as “the homeplace” in Douglas Township. Ed constructed many of the buildings seen in the aerial photograph. After Ed and Dorothy moved into the town of Audubon, their son John, and later their daughter, Doris Christensen, owned the property. The farmhouse burned down in 2002; however, the land is still being farmed by the third generation, represented by Dalton Christensen.